About the Camp
- Swimmers will learn proper stroke mechanics and techniques in each of the four competitive strokes.
- Master the mechanics involed in starting and turning.
- Individual written evaluation of swimmers' strengths and weaknesses in each of the strokes, along with our Virginia Swim Camp Booklet.
- Daily individual video analysis of performance in each of the four strokes and turns, allowing the swimmer the opportunity to observe and modify technique.
Daily Schedule of Events includes:
- Start and Turn Practice
- Stroke Drills
- Dryland Exercises
- Stretching Technique
- Stroke Lecture and Film Presentation
- Video Feedback
- Camp Sprints
- Interval Training Sessions
Additional lectures include: race strategy, training various energy systems, nutrition, and sports psychology.
Free Time Activities
- Camp Talent Show
- Small Group Seminars
- Magic Show
These activities are organized and supervised by counselors and coaches who actively participate.
Arrival and Departure
- All campers should arrive for registration on the Sunday beginning their week of camp between 9:30a.m. and 11:00a.m. Please advise the staff in advance if you know that you will be arriving late.
- Registration will be held at the Estes Athletic Center from 9:30a.m. until 11:00a.m. on Sunday, the first day of each session.
- At registration, swimmers will receive room assignments and further instructions.
- Campers travelling via plane, train, or bus will be met by camp counselors upon their arrival in Charlottesville. Travel itineraries must be furnished in writing fifteen (15) days prior to arrival.
- Parents will pick up campers Thursday at 6p.m. at the Estes Athletic Center.
- If your child needs to depart camp for any reason prior to Thursday, it is the parents' and campers' responsibility to pack that child's possessions prior to departure.
- Participation will be limited to a maximum of two (2) weeks at camp.
- All swim campers will stay in the air-conditioned Jacobson Hall dormitory, located on the scenic grounds of the Fork Union Military Academy.
- Only TWO swimmers will be assigned per room. Only MUTUAL roommate requests are guaranteed to be honored.
- Meals are served at the Estes Dining Facility under the direction of FUMA's professional nutritionist.
Packing for Camp / What to Bring
- Alarm clock
- Pillow and sheets (long twin size)
- Towels (bath & pool)
- Tennis shoes
- Bathing suits
- Rain gear
- Warm-up suit
- Portable fan
- Extension cord
- Equipment bag
- Pull buoy and fins (optional)
- Tennis racket/balls (optional)